Friday 28 March 2014

Why read fiction?

This week's Booking Through Thursday is a pretty short question:

Why do YOU read fiction?


Short, but tough to answer. For me, reading fiction is a vital function, like eating or breathing. I've been doing it for literally as long as I can remember, and if I don't have at least one fictional world available at any time, it just feels unsettling and wrong. I need to start a new book as soon as I've finished the last one, or I just a bit lost. Is that strange?

What I love about fiction is the way you get to live so many different lives, through different eyes, in a vast variety of worlds - historical, fantasy, or future ones. It pulls you out of your everyday existence. Through fiction, I've been assassins, queens, detectives, murderers, regency ladies, wizards, explorers, highwaymen, time travellers, and so many more. It expands your mind and your experiences, letting you travel the world (and a million other worlds) without leaving your seat.

So yes, that's why I read fiction.

No comments: