Thursday 18 September 2014

Family

This week's Booking Through Thursday is:

Do other people in your family also like to read? Or are you in this on your own?


My two brothers are more into practical things, and never seemed to enjoy reading much even when we were children - although I do remember the elder one being very keen on the Hardy Boys series at one point. The younger one devoured information - dinosaurs, cars, animals, pretty much anything else - on any media he could find, including encyclopaedias, TV programmes, and so on. He never went for fiction much either, though.

My mother loves reading, and even though she often told me off for staying up reading when I was a child I know she does exactly the same thing! My father, oddly enough, isn't even able to picture scenes in his head when he reads - he has to process each sentence, think about it, and move on to the next one. He does his fair share of reading, though, but it's all educational. Many of my memories of him reading are of my getting up (fairly early in the morning) to find him sitting with his reading glasses and a cup of tea, learning a foreign language or a new academic subject.

How about you? Any fond (or irritating!) reading memories of your family?

2 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

I don't have any brothers, but I remember my boy cousins being less into reading than the girls when they were small. I have no idea if they read more these days!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

My family is all mixed. Two sisters read, one doesn't. My kids read though. 2 Kids and Tired Books BTT