Friday 13 March 2015

Terry Pratchett

Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness - Men at Arms

More than 10 years ago, I was lucky enough to meet this wonderful man and heard him speak about writing. It was before his Alzheimer's had begun, and he was sharp, witty and full of self-deprecating humour.

I've read his entire Discworld series at least 3 times, and I'm sorely tempted to do so again now, although I have far too many fresh books to read first.

Alzheimer's is a frighteningly common condition these days, and while I'm lucky enough not to know anyone closely with it (yet), I see so many patients on the ward with dementia on top of their physical problems, and it must be heartbreaking to see someone you love losing part of themselves in front of your eyes, and terrifying to be the one with the condition.

I wish he'd been with us for longer.

No comments: